Many times we hear just these wonderful things in meetings and I wanted to devote a page to them. Feel free to send in anything!
Heard in meetings
- Ease balance and grace
I’m powerless over fixing myself but I’m not helpless. Voices of recovery p 15
A sponsor said, “Why” is a management question and you aren’t management.”
Disease is progressive but so is our recovery.
I don’t have to bring people to my way of thinking I just have to be kind.
When I came to my first meeting the thing I most wanted was peace.
God is not my vending machine.
When I eliminate my binge foods abstinence is easy.
- My job is working the program. God is my employer and my payday is abstinence.
- We come for the vanity and stay for the sanity.
- I will never be present with what I’m thinking but what I’m feeling in the present moment.
“A critical spirit is poisonous. Bitterness cannot grow in the soil of a grateful soul. When you have gratitude in your soul–bitterness cannot get rooted in that space.”
“Comparison is a killer!”
Sometimes the seeds you plant are put in bad soil. Soil that are rotten, dry, undesirable. Simply refuses to accept a seed. But in the right weather, cultivation, TLC, that seed can take root.
When you share your problems in meetings you cut them in half. When you share your joys they’re doubled.
I had the RIDS restless irritable discontent
What a boring world it would be if everything was perfect
- Easy does it.
- If there is something you don’t want to do just do it for 15 minutes.
- It’s a good idea to mix which prayers you do so you won’t get lazy.
- What a boring world this would be if everything was perfect.
- Clearing away the wreckage of the past and also the day.
- Fit spiritual abstinence.
- We have to teach people how to treat us.
- Don’t compare your inside to someone else’s outside.
- I’m not responsible for having this disease but I’m responsible for my recovery.
- Practice makes permanent one day at a time.
- Agnostic to the point of spiritual application.
- The disease makes me preoccupied with food, body image, weight, and control issues. I spent years thinking that if I just looked a certain way, ate certain things, avoided eating certain things, I could be happy despite any problems life threw my way. I thought the reason I didn’t have a life was because I was fat. Obsessing about these things, however, kept me from having a life. The fat was only the physical manifestation of the cocoon I had built to isolate myself from the pain of living. Voices of recovery August 16
- AEIOU-Y writing exercise. A – Abstinence – Am I abstinent or working towards abstinence, E – Exercise – Have I moved today, I – I – what have I done for myself, O – Others – what have I done for others, U – Uncover – what have I uncovered in my road to recover, Y-Yay – gratitude, and fun.
- It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities. “How can I best serve Thee – Thy will (not mine) be done.” Big Book page 85
- When we talk about fear and I usually bring my thoughts to Star Wars. Fear led Anakin to the Dark Side. He was worried about Padme and the emperor was able to lure him to the Dark Side of the force. In my opinion it makes Darth Vader a more sympathetic character.
- We were talking about leaps of faith and I thought about the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He has to take a leap of faith to save his father – literally. It looks like nothing will catch him and he’ll plunge to his death. He tries it and he’s on a beam that’s barely visible to the human eye.
- Like is like white water rafting. Sometimes it’s smooth and calm, other times it’s strenuous and requires a lot of energy and patience. (I found this site that explains it better than I can)
- No is a complete sentence.
- Fear is the opposite of Faith.
- NUTS – Not using the steps
- Things happen the way they’re supposed to happen.
- Focus on the steps. That’s where you will encounter your hp and receive the gifts of abstinence and right living.
- Even though I know how bad it is to compulsively over eat I still go out and overeat. That’s what powerless means.
- We have what we need any time we are willing to let go of self-will and humbly ask for help. OA 12&12 p. 27
- Fear is the path to the Dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Yoda
- “I can’t. God can. I think I’ll let God!” (OA 12 and 12)
- Every character defect we have today has been useful to us at some point in our lives, and we need to recognize that fact. New Oa 12&12 p48
- I picture my connection with my higher power as a beam of light.
- Say the prayer of St Francis of Assisi, double up on you meetings, say the Serenity Prayer, work with others. Sandy Beach
- We wouldn’t have fear if there wasn’t a purpose for it.
- We’re eating to fill a God-shaped hole.
- I didn’t cause it. I didn’t cure it. I can’t change it. I can change myself. (Al Anon Slogan)
- Ego driven is edging out God.
- Progress not perfection.
- Nothing worse than a head full of OA and a belly full of food.
- You can’t stay clean on yesterday’s shower.
- I used to think that God couldn’t be bothered with small things but now I don’t mind asking him to pick out my wallpaper.
- Nothing tastes as good as abstinence feels.
- Abstinence is like putting an octopus to bed (similar to the whack-a-mole scenario). I would like to add it’s also kind of like putting pajamas on one too.
- At that moment…More evil is brought into this world by people who are sure they are right. A peaceful soul is more important than having opinions
- If you want to feel better go to a meeting. If you want to get better, work the steps!
- Miracles happen because we live in love, service and compassion.
- It’s easier to stay abstinent than get abstinent.
- Acceptance is the answer to ALL of my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation- some fact of my life- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God’s world by mistake. (A.A. Big Book p417)
- People who are most in need of my love can be the most difficult to love.
- Do I want to be right or do I want to be happy?
- Prayer, Pause, Practice, Patience, Purpose (The 4 Ps)
- Lack of power is our dilemma.
- Thoughts to eat don’t come from God.
- When are the two times to go to a meeting: When you want to go and when you don’t want to go.
- There was a boy that begged and begged his parents for a puppy. They told him he could if he cleaned up after it and took care of it. When he got up in the morning the puppy had peed and pooped all over everything. However, the boy didn’t care. The puppy was a puppy and that’s what puppies do. God looks at us like that with compassion accepting of our mistakes.
- Meditation: I love you, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you.
Meditation Poem :
When I meditated on the word Guidance,
I kept seeing ‘dance‘ at the end of the word.
I remember reading that doing God’s will is a lot like dancing. When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.
The movement doesn’t flow with the music,
and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.
When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,
both bodies begin to move and flow with the music.
One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back
or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.
It’s as if the two become one body, moving beautifully together.
The dance takes surrender, willingness,
and attentiveness from one person,
and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw ‘G’: I thought of God, followed by ‘u’ and ‘i’.
‘God, ‘u‘ and ‘i‘ dance.’
God, you, and I dance.
As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust
that I would get guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.
My prayer for you today is that God’s blessings
and mercies come upon you this day and every day.
Dance together with God, trusting God to lead,
and to guide you through each season of your life.